Faculty Sponsor: Gail Lanham (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Click here to print this flyer
Camp Ernst Middle Archery Information 2018-19
● Gail Lanham (Head Coach)- email@example.com
● Steve Lanham (Asst. Coach)- firstname.lastname@example.org
Camp Ernst WebPage: http://www.boone.kyschools.us/school_home.aspx?schoolid=6
What is the archery team?
The CEMS Archery Team was developed to provide an engaging experience for 6th, 7th and 8th grade students to explore the sport of archery. This will be the third year to have archery at Camp Ernst. The National Archery in School Program (NASP) is the program used to teach/coach students in the sport. We are excited to continue and build the NASP program here at CEMS.
Throughout the year, students will learn archery from certified Basic Archery Instructors (BAI). Archers will learn proper terminology and how to shoot safely and effectively. We will compete at local and state tournaments October-June 2019.
Who can join the archery team?
● Any 6th, 7th or 8th grade student wishing to participate in archery will need to try out.
○ Team will start week of October 9 through May/June 2019.
Team Practice/Feedback Sessions and Team Tryouts (Dates TBD)
● September 2018….30 minutes practice/feedback sessions
○ Those trying out for Team may sign up for 30 minute flight time to get feedback prior to tryouts.
● End of September/Beginning of October 2018...Team Tryouts
○ Students must have Sports Physical completed prior to tryouts and copy of health insurance card. Students without Sports Physical will not be allowed to tryout. (Per CEMS Athlete Code of Conduct) There will be no exceptions on this.
○ Students trying out must follow NASP safety. Failure to do so will result in dismissal from Archery Range.
○ Students will be scored by CEMS coaches and other district coaches using a rubric that will be shared with students prior to tryouts.
● Team will consist of 24-40 students.
○ If possible all members will attend regular tournaments and Regionals (if flight space is available).
○ Team will be reduced to 24 in December due to number restrictions at tournaments.
■ If we can take more to local tournaments in 2019...we will try, but State, National and World limit to 24 members.
■ Scores, Attendance, Attitude, Grades, Behavior are all deciding factors for Top 24 Archer Selection.
● It is strongly advised that any student trying out for archery have some type of background knowledge of archery safety and the NASP program.
○ Students who exhibit any unsafe behavior on the range at any time will be dismissed from the range and/or archery program.
Team members are expected to:
● Will treat officials, coaches and others with dignity and respect.
● Treat all teammates with acceptance, respect, and friendship.
● Provide maximum effort in practice and tournaments.
● Attend all practices, team meetings, and tournaments.
● Archers may be excused from tournaments and/or practices. When this occurs, archers are responsible for informing the coach verbally through a phone call or meeting at the earliest possible time.
○ If an archer has an unexcused absence this will result in not being able to participate in the upcoming weekends tournament and forfeit of tournament fees.
● Archers are to be on time for all practices and tournaments.
● Archers are asked to participate in the raising of monies needed to sustain the needs of the archery program at CEMS with the CAMP COOP and CEMS Archery Tournaments held in December and April.
● Archers must follow the Athletic Code of Conduct for Grades. Students must not have any grades below 70%/Incomplete.
● Team will practice 2-3 days per week, possibly more if space is available.
● Students do not need any equipment for Archery.
○ Bows and arrows will be supplied for those that do not have their own.
● Students with their own bows.
○ All Bows must be Genesis Original Bows. No other bows will be allowed on range.
■ Students must carry their bows/ arrows in a case of some type.
■ Cases will need to be locked if at school during the school day.
■ Bows/Arrows cannot be transported on Boone County School Buses.
● Arrows will be supplied, however students may use their own.
○ They must be Easton 1820 arrows. They will be marked with NASP and Genesis logos.
● Students must always wear closed toe shoes.
○ Anyone not wearing appropriate shoes will not be allowed to participate in Archery Team for the day.
● Team….$30 Athletic Fee (per student)
○ If your child plays another sport (middle or high school level)...you will only need to pay one athletic fee.
○ Purchase of CEMS Archery Team Shirt ($18-$50)
■ We are looking at new design for archery team shirts for next year.
○ In addition students on team must pay for tournament flight times.
■ We will attend many tournaments through the school year.
● All Tournaments attended are at Coaches discretion. We only attend local events unless they are Regional, State and National which are no more than an hours drive.
● Each will range in cost from $7 (local), $10 Regional, $25 State and $35 (National and World)
● We attend approximately 15-20 tournaments per year (including STATE and NATIONAL).
● IF we qualify and meet goal for World’s we will do fundraising to help fund cost of trip.
● Parents are responsible for transportation to and from all tournaments.
○ Insurance Affiant must be on file for any student participating in Archery. This is a board policy and will need to be on file for all archers.
● Mandatory Parent Meeting
○ Any student who makes the CEMS Archery Team for the 2018-19 school year will need to attend the Parent/Archer Mandatory meeting. (Date TBD)
● CEMS Athletic Code of Conduct
○ Students will have grades monitored by school Athletic Director
○ Students will follow school/district behavior guidelines
○ It is a privilege to be on the archery team...it is expected that all team members follow given guidelines and represent CEMS well when attending tournaments, attend practices or during the day in the classroom.
Additional Practices and Other
● It is highly recommended that your child practice outside of school on days when there is no archery practice.
● It is recommended that your archer complete conditioning on his/her own to build upper body/core
Click here to print this flyer